The Helpmekaar Free State encourages students to get involved in the activities in their congregation or by getting involved in outreach actions in their communities.
The Grants made to students are paid out in two parts. The first half is paid after the delivery of the student’s results and the proof of registration in the first semester. To qualify for the second payout in the second semester, the student must:
Attend the Helpmekaar day. The Helpmekaar event will be hosted by a motivational speaker in March where the students learn about where the Helpmekaar bursary originated.
Evidence of a minimum of two outreach actions attended during the first semester. The organizer/minister must fill in and sign the Form which will serve as confirmation of the student’s attendance at the outreach. Examples of outreach: Assistance with a church bazaar, soup kitchen, Street Store, golf day, or any other single day outreach event.
Evidence of ongoing involvement within the congregation. Examples of participation: presenting Sunday school, contributing to the technical team, contributing to the music group, serving in the church council, or any other current activity of the church.
Evidence of the first semester subjects passed (50% of all subjects passed)
Welcome to the Free State
The following information is important for the bursary applicant:
General Information | Instructions
- Only students who meet the following conditions will be eligible for a grant from this scholarship fund:
- Students whose parents are residents of the Free State.
- Students who are members of one of the following churches: Dutch Reformed Church, Ned. Reformed Church or Reformed Church, URCSA or NGKA.
- Students who study at a SAQA ( South African Qualifications Authority) accredited institution in the Free State.
2. Students are required to reapply for a scholarship each year.
3. Payments are advanced half yearly upon receipt of your latest exam results and are subject to your adequate progress, as well as proof of your progress regarding the Helpmekaar Outreach Action.
4. The disbursements of the granted scholarship will be discontinued in the case the student misbehaves or that he/she does not show adequate progress under standard circumstances.
5. In the case the student changes his/her field of study, the scholarship will be discontinued for the participant student.
6. The application for the Helpmekaar bursary fund are only accessible to students who are going to study for their first qualification.